Wood K plus (Kompetenzzentrum Holz GmbH) is a leading research institute in the area wood and wood-related renewable resources.
Our team, Market Analysis & Innovation Research (MAIF) based at Feistmantelstraße 4, 1180 Vienna, is looking for a
Junior Researcher (40h)
(m/f) for a Dissertation (PhD) at BOKU
We conduct research at the interface of technology and economy in order to provide customized information to shape innovation processes and support our research partners on issues of the market. The societal perceptions and requirements considering the forest based economic sector have changed. Increased environmental awareness and interest towards sustainable development represent new challenges for sustainability assessments throughout global value chains of the forest based economic sector.
We are looking for a junior researcher to investigate on methodological drivers and trends of quantified environmental assessments relevant for wood based value chains. In a cooperative research project with an industry partner your task is to map and analyze relevant sustainability assessment methodologies and their trade-offs as well as multi-stakeholder initiatives currently working on the mentioned issues. Thereby also documents relevant for corporate sustainability reporting such as standards, guidelines and recommendations are to be studied (e.g. GRI, GHG-Protocol, Carbon Footprint, Product Environmental Footprint). Case examples considering the development of current or new standards should be studied with respect to initiatives, actor networks, discourse analysis and consensus building.
- Study of methodological approaches to quantified environmental assessments
- Study of initiatives and actor networks as well as discourse analysis and consensus building
- Development of adequate research design in a self-responsible manner
- Independent collection & analysis of data
- Publication activities in peer-reviewed journals
- Presentations at scientific conferences
- Preparation of meetings with company partner and presentation of work
- Co-Supervision of Master Theses
- Completed Master’s degree in a field of study related to environmental or sustainability assessments such as social sciences, political sciences, systems analysis, forestry or natural resources management.
- Knowledge of at least one of the following: LCA, sustainability assessments, social network analysis, Argument Delphi, content analysis
- English language proficiency
- Experience in Literature research and analysis
Other desired qualifications
Interested in the topics carbon accounting, land use change and biodiversity as well as corporate sustainability reporting
Interested in following current methodological developments and policy implications
Experience in academic writing (e.g. own publications)
Project management skills and team player
German language proficiency
Full commitment to research and willingness to learn
What we offer
Full-time employment (40h/week) starting from November 2019 (for 3 years)
Supervision of PhD thesis through Wood K plus and BOKU Institute of Marketing and
Innovation (Dr. Franziska Hesser, Prof. Tobias Stern)
Working in a diverse and dynamic research team
Cooperation with industry partners
Possibilities for further education
Flexible working hours
Payment from 2.200,- EUR brutto.
If you are interested in this position, please send your application until 5.10.2019 including:
- Letter of motivation
- Research concept on how you would address the research problem focusing on the methodological approach (max. 3 pages)
- Certificate Master’s degree
- Copy of Master Thesis
- Publications and/or working papers (if available)
Dr. Franziska Hesser
Tel.: (01) 47654-73518
Please, combine the letter of motivation, CV, research concept, and certificate of Master’s degree into one PDF.